August 29, 2014

Big Iron for tests anyone ?

MySQL Users Conference is coming and with it my presentation about Innodb Scalability limits. We did bunch of tests but we surely could get benefit of some extra hardware for testing, so if you could provide us with dedicated remote access for benchmarks it would be great.

Here is what we’re looking for in particular:

– More than Dual Core Opteron systems. Would be good to see how they scale
– More than 8 core systems
– Non x86 based systems (Niagara etc)
– Fancy IO subsystem – more than 8 hard drives
– SSD based storage.

If you have something of this sort available let me know.

Comments

1. Dan says:

Nothing’s set in stone at the moment, but I’ve put in requests for some replacement DB servers at work.

They’re currently running a custom/proprietary DB on HP-PARISC2 (HP-UX 11.11), 2 machines with 4x 875MHz and 4GB RAM, and 1 machine with 8x 1GHz CPUs with 8GB RAM.

These are being replaced with HP 680c blades. I’ve specced them at 4x quad core Intel Xeons (16 cores all up), with 32 or 64 GB of RAM. These will be running RedHat Advance Platform 5, x86_64. They’ll connect to our HP SAN via 4Gbps fiber channel for data storage.

I’ll be given a chance to thoroughly test the new blade servers before they go into production. Things I want to do before I test our own in-house apps include testing MySQL with a variety of file systems (ext3, jfs, xfs), a variety of storage engines (MySQL 5.0 with InnoDB is my main interest, but I’d love to test MySQL6 with Falcon just for interest’s sake) as well as test out the new RamBack patch:

And see how that’s coming along, and if it bodes well for real-world needs of enterprise DBs.

Given that where I’m currently working has the slowest turn around on approvals I’ve ever had the displeasure of witnessing, it could take a while. But if it goes ahead, I’ll contact you for some advice or any scripts you’d be willing to share to automate the benchmarking. If we use the same data sets and queries, we can compare apples with apples when it comes to other users, or your own hardware tests.

What I also hope is that I get to play with the PA RISC stuff before it gets shuffled off back to HP. That looks highly unlikely at the moment, but if I can I’d love to test all of the above on both HPUX as well as Linux (I believe Debian has a HP-PA-Linux release). But again, I have a feeling the servers will be shuffled back to HP way before I get a chance to play with them for mere benchmarking purposes.

2. Hey Peter,

We’ve got two Niagaras and a handful of 2 x dual-core Opterons lying around you could play with. The Opterons have 32GB of RAM each and are hooked up via SAS to battery-backed 15 x 15K disks.

One of the Niagaras has Solaris on it, the other has Ubuntu. The Opterons are running CentOS5.

Happy to let you borrow them for a few weeks or something. Let me know.

3. Greg (Zeta) says:

Since part of what you are asking for is Sun hardware, Sun has a try-and-buy program, and considering Sun’s recent acquisition of MySQL — it seems you should probably contact Sun and ask them for the use of some hardware.

Some options that meet one or more of your requests:
    http://www.sun.com/servers/coolthreads/t5220/index.xml (non x86, up to 8 core, 64 thread)
    http://www.sun.com/servers/coolthreads/t2000/specs.xml (non x86, up to 8 core, 64 thread)
    http://www.sun.com/servers/x64/x4450/specs.xml (up to 4 quad core Intel)
    http://www.sun.com/servers/x64/x4500/ (lots of disks)
    http://www.sun.com/servers/x64/x4600/features.xml (up to 8 dual core AMD, upgradable to quad)

4. I am having a ball benchmarking T5120 and T5220 (UltraSparc T2 Niagra chips) with 64 hardware threads. However, I am not done yet so can’t give you access. However, Greg is making a very valid suggestion. You can get any server you want using Sun’s try and buy program. The results of my benchmarks will be presented at the conference.

5. Well, remote access is unfortunately out of question for me, but I do have a dual dual-core opteron box with 16GB of RAM that I can run benchmarks on. If you give me a benchmark set I will gladly run it.

6. Michael Moody says:

We have a pair of iWill 8 socket dual core opteron servers (that’s 16 cores per machine), with 32gb of ram each (though right now, we have one of them with 64gb of RAM). It does have a fiber channel card, but is not currently attached to a disk array.

I can probably arrange to give remote access to that if needed.

Let me know.

Michael

Thank you guys. We’ll contact you directly regarding access to the hardware which you can offer.

Greg,

I’ve seen the Sun offer. Though it puts as requirement you may be potentially looking to buy this hardware. We are surely not going to buy it.

I’ve contacted Sun via other channels to see if we can get access to some loaner boxes of the kind, though it did not happen yet.

9. tassilo says:

hi.

i could offer access to a sun starfire (64gig ram/64 cpus) and a fsc primepower 192cpu’s and 256gig ram.
    storage would be a dedicated symetrix with 128 disk drives.

maybe a bit late but if u r interested.

tassilo

10. Hi,

Why not consider trying the IBM AIX blades. They have a try & buy program as well.

Enjoy,