April 19, 2014

Introducing tpce-like workload for MySQL

We have been using tpcc-mysql benchmark for long time, and there many results published in our blog, but that’s just single workload. That’s why we are looking into different benchmarks, and one
of them is TPCE. Yasufumi made some efforts to make TPCE working with MySQL, and we are making it available for public consideration.

You can download it from our Lauchpad Percona-tools project, it’s

Important DISCLAIMER:
Using this package you should agree with TPC-E License Agreement,
which in human words is:

• You can’t name results as “TPC Benchmark Results”
  • You can’t compare results with results published on http://www.tpc.org/ and you can’t pretend the results are compatible with published by TPC.

And we are not going to do anything from that, your primary goals is XtraDB/InnoDB performance research and/or compare with available Storage Engines for MySQL.

The workload in tpce is quite different from tpcc. Tpcc is write intensive, while tpce
is read oriented.
To give more details, there is stats for 10 seconds:

The result is quite chatty,

but it allows you to see count of 11 different transactions per 10 secs and 90% response time.

and final result

where you can see count of successful TR (TradeResult) transactions, and
the summary result in TpsE (transactions per seconds).

Expect our results soon!

Vadim leads Percona's development group, which produces the Percona Server and Percona XtraBackup. He is an expert in solid-state storage, and has helped many hardware and software providers succeed in the MySQL market.

Comments

1. Martin Dimitrov says:

Thank you guys for publishing this work and for distributing your mysqltpce kit.

The last couple of days I have been trying to get your kit to work with MySQL.
    I have followed the steps outlined in the provided README files – I have been able to create the database, load the data, create indexes etc.

However, when I try to kick of a run using EGenSimpleTest, I get the following error:

./bin/EGenSimpleTest -c 2000 -a 2000 -d 200 -r 10 -t 300 -u 12

Scale Factor: 500
    #Days of initial trades: 200
    Load unit size: 1000
    Test duration (sec): 300
    Ramp up duration (sec): 10
    # of Users: 12
    Waiting for Trade-Cleanup transaction finished…
    safe_mutex: Trying to lock unitialized mutex at my_thr_init.c, line 299
    safe_mutex: Trying to lock unitialized mutex at my_thr_init.c, line 299
    safe_mutex: Trying to lock unitialized mutex at my_thr_init.c, line 299
    Aborted

Any insight will be highly appreciated.

Martin

2. Martin Dimitrov says:

I think I have moved past this problem.
    I think it was an issue with the mysqlclient_r library.
    I also think that it was related to a bug: http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=30274

I recompiled mysql without debug, and I replaced the mysqlclient_r in /usr/local/lib with the newly compiled one.

Thanks
    Martin

3. Nikita says:

Somehow the tool doesn’t issue transaction. I’m enabled general log and only see prepare statements.

4. Moussa Ba says:

I am encountering the following crash when trying to run EGenSimpleTest, it ran successfully a couple of times, but fails often with the error below.

sudo /home/jenkins/workspace/run_benchmark/bin/tpce-mysql/bin/EGenSimpleTest -e /home/jenkins/workspace/run_benchmark/bin/tpce-mysql/flat_in -P -S localhost -D tpce1000 -U root -c 1000 -a 1000 -d 300 -r 30 -t 10 -u 25
    EGen v1.9.0
    (for MySQL)
    (Prepared Statement)

Using the following settings:

Input files location: /home/jenkins/workspace/run_benchmark/bin/tpce-mysql/flat_in
    Database server: localhost
    Database name: tpce1000
    Database user: root
    Database password:
    Configured customer count: 1000
    Active customer count: 1000
    Scale Factor: 500
    #Days of initial trades: 300
    Load unit size: 1000
    Test duration (sec): 10
    Ramp up duration (sec): 30
    # of Users: 25
    Waiting for Trade-Cleanup transaction finished…
    … done
    *** glibc detected *** /home/jenkins/workspace/run_benchmark/bin/tpce-mysql/bin/EGenSimpleTest: corrupted double-linked list: 0x00007f86300d1a80 ***
    ======= Backtrace: =========
    /lib64/libc.so.6[0x31ba275296]
    /lib64/libc.so.6[0x31ba277f44]
    /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6(_ZNSt15basic_stringbufIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEE8overflowEi+0×167)[0x31bf2979a7]
    /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6(_ZNSt15basic_streambufIcSt11char_traitsIcEE6xsputnEPKcl+0×35)[0x31bf29bab5]
    /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6(_ZSt16__ostream_insertIcSt11char_traitsIcEERSt13basic_ostreamIT_T0_ES6_PKS3_l+0x1b5)[0x31bf292935]
    /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6(_ZStlsISt11char_traitsIcEERSt13basic_ostreamIcT_ES5_PKc+0x2f)[0x31bf292baf]
    /home/jenkins/workspace/run_benchmark/bin/tpce-mysql/bin/EGenSimpleTest[0x448d7e]
    /home/jenkins/workspace/run_benchmark/bin/tpce-mysql/bin/EGenSimpleTest[0x444956]
    /home/jenkins/workspace/run_benchmark/bin/tpce-mysql/bin/EGenSimpleTest[0x4331f8]
    /home/jenkins/workspace/run_benchmark/bin/tpce-mysql/bin/EGenSimpleTest[0x43484e]
    /home/jenkins/workspace/run_benchmark/bin/tpce-mysql/bin/EGenSimpleTest[0x40538c]
    /lib64/libpthread.so.0[0x31baa077f1]
    /lib64/libc.so.6(clone+0x6d)[0x31ba2e5ccd]
    ======= Memory map: ========
    00400000-00470000 r-xp 00000000 fd:02 10097140 /home/jenkins/workspace/run_benchmark/bin/tpce-mysql/bin/EGenSimpleTest
    0066f000-00671000 rw-p 0006f000 fd:02 10097140 /home/jenkins/workspace/run_benchmark/bin/tpce-

5. Moussa Ba says:

I forgot to mention that I was able to track down the error to the EGenLogFormatter.cpp at line 183. The error moves a bit around that line but it is centered around the logmsg.

6. jfnatx says:

Moussa Ba – I am running into the same issue on RHEL6.2. I have successfully built and loaded the database. However, when I run, EGenSimpleTest crashes:

*** glibc detected *** EGenSimpleTest: corrupted double-linked list: 0x00007f96c4021150 ***
    ======= Backtrace: =========
    /lib64/libc.so.6[0x31c64750c6]
    terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘std::length_error’
    /lib64/libc.so.6[0x31c6477bf4]
    what(): basic_string::_S_create
    /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6(_ZNSt15basic_stringbufIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEE8overflowEi+0×167)[0x3190e979a7]
    Aborted (core dumped)

Any ideas on how to proceed ?