August 23, 2014

Thinking about running OPTIMIZE on your Innodb Table ? Stop!

Innodb/XtraDB tables do benefit from being reorganized often. You can get data physically laid out in primary key order as well as get better feel for primary key and index pages and so using less space,
it is just OPTIMIZE TABLE might not be best way to do it.

If you’re running Innodb Plugin on Percona Server with XtraDB you get benefit of a great new feature – ability to build indexes by sort instead of via insertion. This process can be a lot faster, especially for large indexes which would get inserts in very random order, such as indexes on UUID column or something similar. It also produces a lot better fill factor. The problem is…. OPTIMIZE TABLE for Innodb tables does not get advantage of it for whatever reason.

Lets take a look at little benchmark I done by running OPTIMIZE for a second time on a table which is some 10 times larger than amount of memory I allocated for buffer pool:

That’s right ! Optimizing table straight away takes over 3 hours, while dropping indexes besides primary key, optimizing table and adding them back takes about 10 minutes, which is close than 20x speed difference and more compact index in the end.

So if you’re considering running OPTIMIZE on your tables consider using this trick, it is especially handy when you’re running it on the Slave where it is OK table is exposed without indexes for some time.
Note though nothing stops you from using LOCK TABLES on Innodb table to ensure there is not ton of queries starting reading table with no indexes and bringing box down.

You can also use this trick for ALTER TABLE which requires table rebuild. Dropping all indexes; doing ALTER and when adding them back can be a lot faster than straight ALTER TABLE.

P.S I do not know why this was not done when support for creating index by sorting was implemented. It looks very strange to me to have this feature implemented but majority of high level commands
or tools (like mysqldump) do not get advantage of it and will use old slow method of building indexes by insertion.

Comments

1. Ben says:

I believe this is what JS was getting at…what if I have a table that has Foreign Keys referencing other tables? Can I just drop those, do the optimize, and then re-add?

2. Sheeri says:

What does mysqldump have to do with creating indexes? It doesn’t create indexes at all….do you mean when importing an export made by mysqldump? And is that different regardless of

Also, how big was this table on disk? I’m in the middle of doing some XtraDB table optimizations, they take 3 hours for a 57G .ibd file; after they’re done I’ll try this method.

According to my calculations, your test table is 528Mb….(charset is latin1, sha(1) is 40 chars + 1 byte to indicate length of the varchar, int is 4 bytes, so that’s 45 bytes per row. Autoincrement is 12582913, so you have max 12582912 rows:

12582912*45/1024/1024=540.000

Is that accurate? (even if it’s more than 1 byte for varchar length, it doesn’t change the result that much…)

Also did you test a 2nd time by dropping the indexes first and optimizing and re-adding, and then running OPTIMIZE TABLE, to make sure it wasn’t influenced somehow by the first OPTIMIZE TABLE’s defragmentation/rebuild?

3. Sheeri says:

er, sorry, my sentence was cut off — “And is that different regardless of whether or not ALTER TABLE…DISABLE KEYS is used?”

4. Sheeri says:

Morgan — thanx, that makes more sense re: mysqldump. Something like –indexes-after-for-innodb or something, so that in the mysqldump the indexes will be added after the table data is inserted. Gotcha.

Sheeri,

Yes the point is mysqldump could be fixed so it supports creating indexes after data is loaded which would make it a lot faster for Innodb tables. Or Innodb could be fixed to support enable keys/disable keys which mysqldump already includes in the dump.

The table is not small but buffer pool in this case is also just 128M – this is my test box.

I mentioned this is Second OPTIMIZE TABLE run just to make sure it is “null” operation it should just rebuild the same table.

6. Holger Thiel says:

Besides the UTF-8-bug in Fast Index Creation it is good idea to do drop and create indexes.

7. JS says:

The InnoDB plugin documentation says that altering foreign keys on tables will cause a table copy instead of fast index creation. Is there an alternate way to optimize the creation of these indexes?

8. Mike says:

I tried this trick when importing tables to a InnoDB with about 200,000 rows: I first created the tables without indexes, ran the import, ran OPTIMIZE TABLE and then added the index afterwards (followed by a ANALYZE TABLE). Unfortunately i could not notice any difference. Is there anything more to consider here?

Actually i wonder, if a table should even be optimized after importing at all.

9. Mike says:

Sorry, i think i missed that this trick only applies to Percona Server.

10. Kenny says:

Yeah? You going to do this “drop key” thing manually on every key in every table you want to “optimize” when you’ve got 10 databases, each with several hundred tables and multiple keys?? Let me know next month when you’re finally done.

11. Pinoy says:

Cool! This is a very good tip. I was actually looking for a better way to optimize my database since it is taking almost 6 hours to optimize a single table. Your trick is way faster thanks!

12. Mike says:

Kenny – sure, that’s one reason why even a half competent DBA will write a script.

13. vishnu rao says:

hi peter,

for this trick to work- do i need you enable fast_index_creation ?

thanking you.

regards,
    ch Vishnu

14. Erectrolust says:

My Innodb file size is 5,9Gb. and ai can’t optimize using mysqlcheck -o -A…
    fuk innodb….

15. jago says:

Peter, I have an InnoDB table that I want to optimize, but another table (a child table) has a foreign key constraint pointing into this table. I tried this:

SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS = OFF;

ALTER TABLE schema.my_parent_table DROP all foreign keys …
    ALTER TABLE schema.my_parent_table DROP all indexes …

OPTIMIZE TABLE schema.my_parent_table;

ALTER TABLE schema.my_parent_table ADD back all indexes and foreign keys …

SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS = ON;

All of the above works except for the optimize itself (I verified). I get “Error 1025 … Error on rename of … (errno: 150)” because of the FK in the child table. I thought that “SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS = OFF” would disable that relationship.

I even tried dropping the parent table (which works), then recreating it exactly as it was before the drop (with only the PK). I get the same error.

Is there a way I get optimize to work on parent tables?

16. jago says:

Addition to the above entry: I guess I should have said………..

Is there a way I can get optimize to work on a parent table *without* having to drop the FK constraints in all child tables and then re-create them after I finish with the parent table?

17. Alberto says:

YOU SAVE MY LIFE!!! THAAAAAAAAAANK YOU!!!!!!