August 23, 2014

What CPU Architecture do you prefer for running MySQL In production

Time for another poll! I wonder What CPU Architecture do you use for running MySQL in Production ? I guess most of the game here is between Intel and AMD x86-64 variants though I wonder if there is still a lot of use for others in the wild. If I am missing some Architecture which is still alive in your data center please post a comment and I will add it to the list.
Please select all what applies. If you would like to share what works better for you in the comments I appreciate it.

What CPU Architecture/Vendor do you use for Running MySQL In Production

• Intel Based CPUs (91%, 502 Votes)
  • AMD Based CPUs (15%, 84 Votes)
  • Sparc Based CPUs (3%, 16 Votes)
  • ARM Based CPUs (1%, 8 Votes)
  • PowerPC Based CPUs (1%, 7 Votes)

Total Voters: 553

Loading ... Loading ...

Comments

1. Rodalpho says:

Not sure why you bothered with a poll. Most people run mysql on x86-64 linux, which (even if they didn’t suck rocks) eliminates powerpc and sparc, and intel is way ahead of AMD on price and performance in the enterprise space. I assume ARM was placed in the poll by accident.

2. Uli Stärk says:

there are a some users, using their home nas as a mysql server, like a qnap wich is based on a Marvell 6281.

3. I would be more interested to see which class of processor is in use– for Intel that would be something like Atom, E3, E5, E7. What do performance numbers look like on an E5-2690 vs. an E7-2670?

4. Rodalpho says:

Running MySQL on your home NAS, HTPC, embedded device, or whatever don’t fit “production”. Peter specifically spoke about hosting in a datacenter.

5. Rodalpho,

Most people indeed run MySQL on x86 architectures yet I was interested to understand what other architectures are still in use.

Regarding ARM it is not there by accident. There are some developments in Server level ARM to be used for applications with relatively low performance needs such as this one: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/09/boston_viridis_arm_server/

6. Rodalpho says:

Neat, I hadn’t seen that product. I too wonder if anyone is using it.

7. gebi says:

The fastest (frquency) Intel CPU you can buy as it heavily influences latency of individual queries in mysql.

8. dalin says:

There’s two different titles on this page which don’t quite mean the same thing:
    - What CPU Architecture/Vendor do you use for Running MySQL In Production
    - What CPU Architecture do you prefer for running MySQL In production

use != prefer

9. Richard Bensley says:

Somebody please sell me an ARM blade!

10. Dalin,

Use!=Prefer on the personal level but it gets close on the organizational level. When organization made a choice to use certain CPU this means it was preferable choice in decision maker mind compared to alternatives right ?

11. nate says:

Strange math here! As of my vote it says

Intel – 93% – 384 votes
    AMD – 16% -66 votes
    Sparc – 2% – 10 votes
    ARM/PPC – 1% 5 + 4 votes

Total voters: 415

Though 469 votes have been cast

12. Nate,

I allowed multiple choices in this poll. I assume there are number of people who run both Intal and AMD in their data center

13. If more detail is helpful, we use only Intel and 99% on Dell two socket servers, usually R420s these days, and often under Xen virtualization (in private clouds, on AWS, etc.), usually 8-64Gb of RAM or more. Usually batter-backed PERC raid on 15K SAS drives, of course.

For CPUs we use the 5×20 type CPUs, i.e. low end of the mid-range CPUs, usually the slowest/lowest we can get hyperthreading with, on the theory that HT works well with MySQL and Xen, PHP, JAVA etc. that we see most of the time. These seem the best value at scale and broadly we think high-cost high clock rates are a waste, but cores are worth every penny though we are waiting for 8-10 core CPUs to come down in price. New R420s with 24 HT cores, 128-256GB of RAM, 8TB of disk are cheap and powerful machines for MySQL, even in virtualized environments.